How To Apply For Massachusetts SNAP Benefits

View the information below if you are interested in applying for a EBT card in Massachusetts. It is important that you have all the documentation and information needed so the application process is not delayed. If you still have questions or issues about applying for food stamps, known as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), then you can call the Massachusetts SNAP hotline at 877-382-2363. The department that handles this program is called the Massachusetts Health and Human Services.

You may be eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), also known as food stamps. The Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) administers SNAP benefits. SNAP provides a monthly benefit to buy nutritious foods. To receive SNAP, you must be low income and be a US citizen or legal noncitizen (restrictions apply). Eligibility for SNAP benefits depends on financial and nonfinancial criteria.

Applying for Massachusetts food stamps

To apply for Massachusetts SNAP benefits, you need to provide personal information. This includes your Social Security number (if you have one), birth date, home address (if you have one), income, and expenses. You may need more information in certain situations:

  • If you are applying for other people in your household - their personal information
  • If you want someone to apply or get SNAP benefits for you - their contact information

You will need to verify your income, expenses and other information:

  • They will tell you what you need to give them after your interview
  • To receive a decision as soon as possible, send the documents listed below

Required SNAP verification's

Things you must show them, if they apply to you or your household, to complete the SNAP application process:

  • Identity and Social Security Number (SSN) if applying. They can generally verify this for you if you give them your SSN
  • Massachusetts residency
    • Rent receipt, lease, or utility bill or
    • Deed or mortgage statement
  • Earnings and number of hours worked
    • Pay stubs or
    • Letter from employer showing gross income and number of hours worked
  • Other income If you get workers compensation, Veterans benefits, pension, child support, alimony, etc.
    • Benefit or award letter or
    • Check or record of payment

If you receive income from Social Security Administration (SSA), unemployment income through DUA, or child support through the Department of Revenue (DOR), let them know.

  • Non-citizen status
    • Permanent Resident Card ("green card")
    • Employment Authorization Card or
    • Other documents showing current or pending immigration status

Optional SNAP verifications

Things you may show them that may make you eligible for more SNAP benefits:

  • Housing costs*
    • Rent receipt, lease, or letter from your landlord or roommate
    • Mortgage statement, property tax, condo fees, home insurance bill or
    • Other document showing how much you need to pay
  • Utility costs*
    • Bill for heat, air conditioning, electricity, gas or phone
    • Lease showing you pay for utilities or
    • Letter from your landlord or roommate
  • Dependent care costs (child or adult day care costs)*
    • Statement or letter from provider and or
    • Statement about car mileage or other transportation costs to and from the provider
  • Medical costs. If you or anyone in your household is age 60 or older or has a certified disability
    • Bills or receipts for medical costs not covered by insurance such as: co-payments, prescription medication, dental care, eyeglasses, over-the-counter medical items
    • Payments for homemakers, home health aides or other care you need, and or
    • Statement about care mileage or transportation costs to and from health appointments or pharmacy*
  • Child support payments
    • Documents showing a legal obligation to pay child support like a court order to someone outside of your household and verification of payment

*If you listed this cost on your application, we will not need more verification unless they have questions.

How to apply for Massachusetts food stamps

You can apply for SNAP benefits online by clicking here. If you prefer to send your application by mail, then you will need to first download the SNAP benefits application in your primary language. Senior citizens may use the simplified application for elderly applicants. Then download the DTA cover sheet and mail the completed cover sheet and application to:

DTA Document Processing Center
P.O. Box 4406
Taunton, MA. 02780

You can also fax your completed SNAP application simply by following the same process as above by downloading the SNAP application and the DTA cover sheet. But instead of mailing it to the address listed above, you would need to fax it to:

DTA Document Processing Center

Another option is to apply for SNAP benefits in person. To do this, visit a DTA office where a staff member can help you get started.

What happens after you apply for Massachusetts SNAP benefits?

After you have applied for SNAP benefits, they will then contact you to schedule an interview. You can have the interview over the phone or at a local office. If you do not speak English, they can provide an interpreter. During the interview, they will determine if you are eligible for emergency SNAP benefits.

The next step is that you will need to verify the information you tell them. You need to verify your income and expenses. For more information, see their SNAP Verifications section. You may need to verify more information, which they will explain to you once you have had your interview. You can send them the verifications in many ways. You will then be given an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. You may get the EBT card before they decide if you are eligible for benefits. This is so you can use your benefits as soon as they are available, if you are eligible.

You will be given a decision within 30 days. You will get a letter in the mail telling you if you qualify. If they approve your application, they will tell you your benefit amount and when you will get your benefits. If they deny your application, they will tell you why. If you do not agree with the decision, you can appeal the decision. Your letter tells you how you can file an appeal. You can file a complaint with the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) if you believe they have discriminated against you. You will be able to use your EBT Card to shop for groceries if eligible for benefits. When you get your EBT card, you will also get more information on how to use it.

If you need additional assistance in applying for SNAP benefits, then you can ask someone you trust to apply for you or go food shopping for you. That person is your authorized representative. Tell them who your authorized representative is in your application. You and your authorized representative will need to fill out the Request to choose someone to be my authorized representative. If you need help due to a disability then they may be able to help. They can give you extra help called accommodations. Accommodations can make working with them easier. If you think you need extra help, tell a DTA staff member.

Emergency Massachusetts SNAP benefits

When you apply for SNAP benefits, they will ask you if one of the following describes you:

  • Does your income and money in the bank add up to less than your monthly housing expenses?
  • Is your monthly income less than $150 and is your money in the bank $100 or less?
  • Are you a migrant worker and is your money in the bank less than $100?

Emergency SNAP benefits are an initial benefit that you may be eligible for while they review your application. If you qualify for this benefit, it may not mean they approve you for monthly SNAP benefits. The standard for emergency SNAP benefits is different than the standard for monthly SNAP benefits. If you are approved for emergency SNAP benefits you will get a letter in the mail telling you the amount of your benefits. This letter will also tell you what other steps you may have to take to complete the application process. You will get an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card and Personal Identification Number (PIN) to start using your emergency benefits.

Maximum Gross Monthly Income Standards - 130% of Federal Poverty Level

Assistance Unit Size Maximum Gross Monthly Income Standard
1 $1,307
2 $1,760
3 $2,213
4 $2,665
5 $3,118
6 $3,571
7 $4,024
8 $4,477
Each additional AU member will increase by $453

Maximum Benefit Levels

Assistance Unit Size Maximum Benefit Levels
1 $192
2 $352
3 $504
4 $640
5 $760
6 $913
7 $1,009
8 $1,153
Each additional AU member will increase by $144