How To Apply For Oklahoma SNAP Benefits

View the information below if you are interested in applying for a EBT card in Oklahoma. It is important that you have all the documentation and information needed so the application process is not delayed. If you still have questions or issues about applying for food stamps, known as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), then you can call the Oklahoma SNAP hotline at 877-653-4798. The department that handles this program is called the Oklahoma Department of Human Services.

The federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides a monthly benefit for you to buy food. Your benefit amount is based on the size of your household, your income, and your allowed expenses. DHS issues SNAP food benefits on a plastic card, called the ACCESS Oklahoma Card. You can use your ACCESS card just like a bank card at most food stores.

Apply for Oklahoma food stamps

If you previously received benefits from DHS, you may apply by clicking here. If you are a first time user, you will first need to create a user name and password. You can click on the Create User ID link to do so. You may also apply for SNAP benefits by printing and completing the Request for Benefits form. You can then mail, fax, email, or take it to your local DHS office during business hours. Before applying, you can check to see what benefits you qualify for using their pre-screening tool.

Oklahoma SNAP interview requirements

When you apply for food benefits, you must complete an interview with a DHS worker and answer some additional eligibility questions. Interviews are completed by telephone or in person. An interview can be scheduled for your convenience, in order to account for employment or transportation needs.

Once DHS receives the Request for Benefits form, you will be contacted regarding your interview. You will receive an interview notice in the mail and may receive a telephone call to complete an interview. It is important that your address and phone numbers are accurate so that they can best serve you.

What documents are needed?

When you first apply for Oklahoma food benefits, you will need to provide a document to prove your identity. If you are eligible for expedited services, this may be all you have to provide to receive one or two months of benefits. Review the list of documents required below.

Identity of applicant

  • Birth Cert birth certificate
  • Driver license driver's license
  • Paycheck
  • Voter registration card
  • school record or
  • US passport

Earned income

  • Check stubs for the last 30 days that show your name or Social Security number, date of pay, and income before deductions
  • Statement from your employer or
  • Copy of last year's tax return only if self-employed

Other income

  • A current benefit check or award letter
  • Copies of child support or alimony checks or
  • Court order showing benefit information

Medical expenses (optional)

  • Only needed for household members who are 60 years of age or older or permanently disabled if you want to receive a medical deduction
  • Provide proof of medical expenses (itemized receipts, billing statements etc.). Allowable expenses include but are not limited to: medical/dental care costs, prescription drugs, doctor approved over-the-counter medications and supplies; Medicare premiums, dentures, hearing aids, prosthetics, eye glasses, maintaining a home health aide, cost of transportation and lodging to obtain medical treatment or services
  • Claim the amount you spend in a month, Look over your monthly expenses, add them together, and claim this amount as a deduction

Immigration status

  • A document that shows your lawful immigration status if you are not a US citizen

Social Security numbers

  • Social Security cards or numbers

How long does it take to get Oklahoma food benefits?

It may take up to 30 calendar days from the date you submit your application to receive benefits or a denial notice. It usually doesn't take that long to get help. You may be eligible to receive food benefits right away if you meet expedited food benefit rules.

Expedited food benefits mean you get your food benefits faster when you meet certain rules. When you qualify, DHS staff must process your application within seven calendar days of the date you apply. You do not have to ask for expedited food benefits or apply for expedited benefits separately. DHS staff checks every food benefit application to see if the household qualifies for expedited services.

How do I know if I am eligible for expedited food stamps?

A worker will review the answers you gave on your application to see if you qualify. If it looks like you might be eligible, a worker will interview you the same day if you apply in person. If you cannot stay to be seen the same day, mail in your application, or apply online, a worker will contact you to set up a date and time for the interview.

What are the rules for expedited food benefits?

You are eligible to receive expedited food benefits if:

  • Your household has less than $150 in monthly gross income and you do not have cash resources over $100
  • You are a migrant or seasonal farm worker and you do not have cash resources over $100
  • Your household's total monthly income and cash resources are less than the household's monthly rent or mortgage, and utilities

How can I get more information about expedited services?

You can contact your local DHS office for more information. You may also call 405-521-3444 or email

How will I know if or when my food benefits are approved?

You will receive a letter in the mail called the Notice of Action letter. This notice will tell you if you were approved or denied for food benefits. If you are approved, the notice will tell you the amount of benefits approved, when benefits will start, and the amount of income and deductions used to make the decision. If you are denied, the notice will tell you why.

Is there an income limit?

Yes. The income limit is based on the number of people for whom you are applying. Your answers to application questions will help the DHS worker figure out if you are eligible.

Households have to meet income tests unless all members are receiving TANF, SSI, or in some places general assistance. Most households must meet both the gross and net income tests, but a household with an elderly person or a person who is receiving certain types of disability payments only has to meet the net income test. Households, except those noted, that have income over the amounts listed below cannot get SNAP benefits.

Household Size Gross monthly income (130 percent of poverty) Net monthly income (100 percent of poverty)
1 $1,307 $1,005
2 $1,760 $1,354
3 $2,213 $1,702
4 $2,665 $2,050
5 $3,118 $2,399
6 $3,571 $2,747
7 $4,024 $3,095
8 $4,477 $3,444
Each additional member +$453 +$349

Is there a limit on the number of people I can apply for?

You can apply for all the people living in your home that buy and fix meals with you.

Can I have a checking and/or savings account or own a house or car and still get food benefits?

Yes, you can. The value of these resources does not affect your eligibility for food benefits. The amount of money in your bank accounts may affect your eligibility for expedited processing.

If you still have questions or issues when applying for Oklahoma food stamps, you can call them at 405-521-3444, toll fre: 866-411-1877.