How To Apply For Oregon SNAP Benefits

View the information below if you are interested in applying for a EBT card in Oregon. It is important that you have all the documentation and information needed so the application process is not delayed. If you still have questions or issues about applying for food stamps, known as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), then you can call the Oregon SNAP hotline at 800-723-3638. The department that handles this program is called the Oregon Department of Human Services.

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is a federally funded program which offers nutrition assistance to millions of eligible, low-income individuals and families. SNAP is the largest program in the domestic hunger safety net. The intent of the SNAP program is to help improve the health and well-being of low-income households and individuals by providing them a means to meet their nutritional needs.

Oregon food stamp eligibility requirements

To find out if you may be eligible for Oregon food benefits then use their OregonHelps Program pre-screener​ tool. If you are a senior or person with disabilities you may also contact the Oregon ADRC by calling the ADRC at 855-ORE-ADRC (855-673-2372) or visit the ADRC website. If you are at least a half-time student you must meet additional special criteria to be eligible for food benefits.

Students who are between the ages of 18 to 49 who attend higher education at least half time must meet additional special criteria to be eligible for SNAP. If you are in this age group and attending higher education then you must meet one of the following criteria to be an eligible student:

  • Be physically or mentally unfit for employment. This means you cannot both work and go to school. You may be asked to provide something from your doctor supporting this
  • Be a paid employee working an average of 20 hours each week. The hours worked in an internship or externship do not count towards these hours
  • Be self-employed at and working at least 20 hours each week and have countable monthly income of at least $1,247 before business costs
  • Be awarded state or federally funded work-study and be assigned a position with a start date in the current term or semester
  • Be responsible for the care of a child in your household. (Specific age requirements apply)
  • Be receiving TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) cash assistance or Tribal TANF
  • Be in a Workforce Investment Act (WIA) training program
  • Be receiving Unemployment Compensation benefits
  • Be participating in at least one of the Employment Department training programs

If you meet one of the criteria above and your monthly income is below the income limits, you may be eligible.

Apply for Oregon food stamps

There are several options to apply for food benefits. One option is to apply for Oregon food stamps online. Visit the 211Info website to find out how to phone, text or email for assistance. The other option is to contact your local office. Families and single adults without a disability contact your local DHS self-sufficiency office. Seniors and people with disabilities contact a Seniors & People with Disabilities office. You can also download an application (English version - Spanish version). Once you have downloaded it, you can fill it out and fax or mail it to your local DHS Self Sufficiency office. If you have difficulty opening the application forms, please contact them to report the problem.

What if I need food benefits right away?

They may be able to give you food benefits within seven days if you qualify. To qualify, one of the following must be true:

  • Your income is less than $150 per month and your cash and bank accounts total less than $100
  • The total of your monthly income, cash and money in the bank is less than your total housing and utility costs for a month or
  • You are a migrant or seasonal farm worker and have very little money
  • You must be able to show proof of your identity

What do I need to bring to the interview?

You may need to bring:

  • Your identification
  • Proof of your income
  • Social Security numbers for everyone in your household who wants benefits and
  • Proof of your legal immigration status for those persons who want benefits
  • Please let them know if you need help getting the information and they may be able to help you

If you are applying for someone else and not for yourself, they do not need your SSN or citizenship status. People who are not US citizens may still qualify for certain benefits. If you do not have an SSN yourself, other family  members who do have SSNs may still qualify.