How To Apply For South Dakota SNAP Benefits

View the information below if you are interested in applying for a EBT card in South Dakota. It is important that you have all the documentation and information needed so the application process is not delayed. If you still have questions or issues about applying for food stamps, known as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), then you can call the South Dakota SNAP hotline at 877-999-5612. The department that handles this program is called the South Dakota Department of Social Services.

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as food stamps) helps low-income South Dakotan's buy the food they need to stay healthy while they work to regain financial independence. SNAP benefits are not intended to cover all of a person or family's food costs but will help with purchasing the food needed for a nutritionally adequate diet. The amount of SNAP benefits a person or household receives is based on household size, income and allowable expenses.

South Dakota SNAP eligibility requirements

Households must meet eligibility requirements and provide information and verification about their household circumstances. To participate in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program:

  • Households may have no more than $2,250 in countable resources, such as a bank account ($3,250 if at least one person in the household is a person with a disability or age 60 or older). Certain resources are not counted, such as your home and one vehicle
  • The gross monthly income of most households must be 130 percent or less of the Federal poverty guidelines. Gross income includes all cash payments to the household, with a few exceptions specified in the law or the program regulations
  • Net monthly income must be 100 percent or less of the Federal poverty guidelines. Net income is figured by adding all of a household's gross income, and then subtracting the approved deductions for shelter costs, dependent care costs, child support payments made to someone not living with the household, and medical expenses for individuals over the age of 60 or with a disability. Households with a person with a disability or age 60 or older are subject only to the net income test
  • Most able-bodied adult applicants must meet certain work requirements
  • All household members must provide a Social Security number or apply for one, if they wish to receive benefits
  • Federal poverty guidelines are established by the Office of Management and Budget and are updated annually by the Department of Health and Human Services

To help determine if you are eligible for South Dakota SNAP benefits, you can use an online pre-screening tool provided by USDA Food and Nutrition Service. Do note, this pre-screening tool is not an application for SNAP benefits. An application for SNAP benefits must be made at your local office or online.

How is each household's SNAP allotment determined?

Eligible households are issued a monthly allotment of SNAP benefits based on the Thrifty Food Plan, a low-cost model diet plan. The TFP is based on National Academy of Sciences Recommended Dietary allowances, and on food choices of low-income households. An individual household's SNAP allotment is equal to the maximum allotment for that household's size, less 30 percent of the household's net income.

Gross Income Guidelines
Household Size Gross monthly income (130 percent of pverty) Net monthly income (100 percent of pverty)
1 $1,307 $1,005
2 $1,760 $1,354
3 $2,213 $1,702
4 $2,665 $2,050
5 $3,118 $2,399
6 $3,571 $2,747
7 $4,024 $3,095
8 $4,477 $3,444
Each additional member +$453 +$349
What keeps unqualified people from getting SNAP benefits?

As part of the commitment to program integrity, USDA works closely with the states to ensure they issue their benefits correctly. State workers carefully evaluate each application to determine eligibility and the appropriate level of benefits. USDA monitors the accuracy of eligibility and benefit determinations. States that fail to meet standards for issuing their SNAP benefits correctly can be sanctioned by USDA and those exceeding the standard for payment accuracy can be eligible for additional funding support. People who receive SNAP benefits in error must repay any benefits for which they did not qualify.

Apply for South Dakota food stamps

There are a few different ways to apply for SNAP. One option is to apply online by clicking here. You can apply, renew, or report changes for SNAP and/or Medical Assistance on this website. Or if you prefer, you can download an application, fill it out and submit or mail it to one of the local Social Services offices.

Required Verification's

At the time of your interview, you will be required to provide the following verification's. If you cannot get all the information together by your interview date, still come for the interview because you will have additional time to provide this information. If you need assistance in obtaining this information, please discuss with your benefits specialist at the time of the interview.

  • Proof of identity (driver's license, etc.), alien status
  • Social Security numbers for all household members
  • If employed, proof of income (wage stubs, earning statements, etc.) for the past 30 days
  • If self-employed, proof of income (income tax return, self-employment ledgers, etc.)
  • Proof of all other income (Social Security, SSI, workman's compensation, unemployment benefits, BIA general assistance, child support, rental income, VA benefits, interest income for last year, etc.)
  • Information about checking accounts, savings accounts, certificates of deposit, credit union accounts, retirement accounts, stocks, bonds, dividends, etc

Other Verification's that may increase your benefits, if provided:

  • Proof of shelter costs (rent or mortgage payment, lot rent, household, real estate taxes, utility bills - heat, electricity, water/sewage/garbage, telephone, etc.)
  • Proof of dependent care expenses (statement from provider, signed receipts, etc.)
  • If anyone is age 60 or older, or permanently disabled, proof of medical expenses not paid by another source (health insurance, doctor bills, hospital bills, drug receipts, pharmacy statement, etc.)
  • If paying child support payments, proof of obligation and payment (divorce decree/administrative order, cancelled checks, clerk of courts receipt, etc.)