How To Apply For Wisconsin SNAP Benefits

View the information below if you are interested in applying for a EBT card in Wisconsin. It is important that you have all the documentation and information needed so the application process is not delayed. If you still have questions or issues about applying for food stamps, known as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), then you can call the Wisconsin SNAP hotline at 800-362-3002. The department that handles this program is called the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.

FoodShare Wisconsin was created to help stop hunger and to improve nutrition and health. FoodShare helps people with limited money buy the food they need for good health. Each month, people across Wisconsin get help from FoodShare. They are people of all ages who have a job but have low incomes, are living on small or fixed income, have lost their job, and are retired or disabled and not able to work.

Apply for Wisconsin FoodShare benefits

FoodShare Wisconsin helps low-income families and individuals to buy nutritious food. If you want to find out if you can get FoodShare benefits, you need to apply with your agency. The first option is to apply online at Once there, click on "Apply for Benefits." This will let you submit an application to your agency. Another option is applying in person. To find the phone number and address for the agency in your area go to the "How to Apply" or call Member Services at 800-362-3002.

The last option is to apply by mail, download an application (English version - Spanish version) for Wisconsin food stamps, complete it and send the completed application and any proof/verification to:

If you live in Milwaukee County:
PO Box 05676
Milwaukee WI 53205

Fax: 888-409-1979

If you do not live in Milwaukee County:

PO Box 5234
Janesville, WI 53547-5234
Fax: 855-293-1822

Click here to choose a county or a tribe to view the agency's information (including address, phone number, fax, and email). The office hours are also posted for each agency. If you have specific questions, contact the main office in your county/tribe. If you don't know the name of your county, you can find it by looking for your home town on the list of Wisconsin municipalities.

After you apply for FoodShare benefits you must complete an interview with a worker from your agency in order to get benefits. The interview will be done by phone, unless you request your interview in-person at the agency. You will get details about your FoodShare interview from your agency. If you want to see if you may be able to get FoodShare Benefits before you apply, go to and click on "Am I Eligible". For more information about FoodShare Wisconsin, see the ForwardHealth Enrollment and Benefits Handbook.

FoodShare Wisconsin monthly income limits

The following income levels are used to determine enrollment in FoodShare Wisconsin. To see if you may be able to enroll, go to and apply today. FPL stands for "Federal Poverty Level" which is defined by Congress each year.

Household Size *200% FPL Gross Income Limit 165% FPL Gross Income Limit ****Separate Household 130% FPL Gross Income Limit ***Reporting Limit 100% FPL **Net Income Limit Maximum Allotment
1 $2,010 $1,659 $1,307 $1,005 $192
2 $2,708 $2,233 $1,760 $1,354 $352
3 $3,404 $2,808 $2,213 $1,702 $504
4 $4,100 $3,383 $2,665 $2,050 $640
5 $4,798 $3,958 $3,118 $2,399 $760
6 $5,494 $4,532 $3,571 $2,747 $913
7 $6,190 $5,107 $4,024 $3,095 $1,009
8 $6,888 $5,682 $4,477 $3,444 $1,153
9 $7,586 $6,257 $4,930 $3,763 $1,297
10 $8,284 $6,832 $5,383 $4,142 $1,441
For each additional person add: $698 $575 $453 $39 $144

* If your family's gross income is at or below 200% of the FPL your family will pass the "Gross Income Test". You will be given certain credits which will be subtracted from your gross income. (By gross income, we mean before any taxes and deductions have been taken.)

** If your family's net income is at or below 100% of the FPL after your credits have been subtracted, you may be able to get FoodShare benefits. For more information about the credits you may be able to get, please see the ForwardHealth Enrollment and Benefits handbook.

*** If you are enrolled in FoodShare, you must report to your agency if your family's income goes over 130% of the FPL. For more information about reporting changes, see the ForwardHealth Enrollment and Benefits handbook.

**** In a very small percent of cases, 165% of the FPL is used to see if you are able to get FoodShare benefits. This income limit is used if you and your spouse (if married) are living and eating with others and you need to apply separately. You may do this only if:

  • You are age 60 or older
  • You cannot purchase and prepare your own meals because:
    • You are considered by the Social Security Administration to be permanently disabled, or
    • You have a permanent physical or mental non disease-related disability
  • The gross monthly income of the persons with whom you and your spouse (if married) live with does not go over 165% of the FPL for the number of others in the household