How To Apply For Kansas SNAP Benefits

View the information below if you are interested in applying for a EBT card in Kansas. It is important that you have all the documentation and information needed so the application process is not delayed. If you still have questions or issues about applying for food stamps, known as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), then you can call the Kansas SNAP hotline at 888-369-4777. The department that handles this program is called the Kansas Department for Children and Families.

The United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as the Food Stamp Program, provides qualifying low-income households with food benefits, access to a healthy diet and education on food preparation and nutrition. In Kansas, the program is known as the Food Assistance Program.

The Food Assistance Program serves as the first line of defense against hunger. It provides crucial support to elderly households, to low-income working households, to other low income households that include the unemployed or disabled and to households transitioning from welfare to work. Food assistance customers can spend their benefits to buy eligible nutritious food and plants and seeds to grow food for their household to eat.

Kansas food stamps eligibility requirements

Persons who work, but have a low income and those who are unemployed may be eligible. Persons who live together and buy food together may be eligible. Household members do not have to be related to be considered part of the household. Persons age 60 and older and persons with disabilities may be eligible. Persons with disabilities such as those receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security Disability payments, certain veteran’s disability payments, disability retirement benefits for a permanent disability and railroad disability may be eligible.

Any single individual, household or group of individuals who live and eat together, whose income and resources are low and who meet certain basic program requirements can qualify. The Food Assistance program is available to all eligible persons regardless of race, color, creed, sex, age, national origin, political beliefs or handicaps.

The amount of assistance you receive is based on your household’s size and income after deductions (net income). Your total income, before taxes or any other subtractions, is called gross income. Deductions for things like housing costs, child support payments, child-care costs, or monthly medical expenses over $35 for elderly or disabled people may be allowed. The amount left over after these deductions is your net income. If your household includes a person who is 60 or older or is disabled, only the net income limit must be met. If you are close to the income limits, go ahead and apply.

People in Household Monthly Gross Income Monthly Net Income Maximum Monthly Benefit Amount
1 $1,276 $981 $194
2 $1,726 $1,328 $357
3 $2,177 $1,675 $511
4 $2,628 $2,021 $649
5 $3,078 $2,368 $771
6 $3,529 $2,715 $925
7 $3,980 $3,061 $1,022
8 $4,430 $3,408 $1,169

All income and resources must be reported when you apply. Although certain types of income may be excluded, most is counted in determining eligibility and the amount of food assistance benefits that can be provided to the household. Food assistance income limits go up as household size increases. The following can be deducted from total gross monthly income to determine monthly net Income:

  • To cover basic household expenses, a standard deduction will be subtracted
  • To cover work-related expenses and payroll taxes, a 20 percent deduction will be subtracted from earned income
  • To cover dependent care expenses, a deduction for actual costs will be subtracted
  • To cover high shelter expenses, a deduction for actual costs, up to the maximum allowed, may be subtracted
  • To cover legally obligated child support payments, a deduction for actual payments will be subtracted

All households may have up to $2,250 worth of resources. Households may have up to $3,250 if at least one member is age 60 or older or is disabled. Some countable resources that apply toward the $2,250 (or $3,250) limit are:

  • Cash, checking and savings accounts
  • US Savings Bonds
  • Savings Certificates
  • Buildings or land (except family home)
  • Jointly owned resources
  • Cars and other vehicles

Certain Resources are exempt, such as:

  • The home where you live
  • Life insurance policies
  • Income-producing real estate (if the property annually produces income consistent with its fair market value)
  • Tradesman tools and farm machinery

U.S. citizens and certain legal non-citizens may be eligible for food assistance benefits when other eligibility requirements are met. If you are not eligible due to immigration status, your legal resident or citizen children may still qualify. Citizenship verification or non-citizen documentation is required for the individuals you are applying for.

How to apply for Kansas food stamps

Applying for assistance is easy. Applications are available at your local DCF Service Center or Access Point, or can be requested by calling toll-free 888-369-4777. To apply online, click here. You can leave parts of the application blank if you do not understand how to complete them. Return your application to DCF and someone will contact you to set up an interview. You may request that your interview be held in the office or over the phone. What information do you need to give DCF to apply for Food Assistance?

  • Identification, such as a birth certificate or driver’s license
  • Non-citizen documentation, if you are not a United States citizen
  • Social Security number for you and any household members who are applying for food assistance
  • Proof of earned and unearned income
  • Proof of assets, such as checking and savings account balances