How To Apply For New Hampshire SNAP Benefits

View the information below if you are interested in applying for a EBT card in New Hampshire. It is important that you have all the documentation and information needed so the application process is not delayed. If you still have questions or issues about applying for food stamps, known as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), then you can call the New Hampshire SNAP hotline at 603-271-9700. The department that handles this program is called the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services.

The SNAP Program is about good nutrition and health. It provides eligible people with benefits to buy food items at grocery stores, farmers markets and other approved food retailers. The food stamp program also gives recipients a chance to learn more about purchasing and preparing nutritious meals.

How to apply for New Hampshire food stamps

The Division of Family Assistance offers online services through NH EASY Gateway to Services, New Hampshire's Electronic Application System. Learn how to apply for assistance, check eligibility, track your application status, and more by visiting the NH EASY Gateway to Services web page.

To apply online, visit the website If you prefer, you can apply for New Hampshire SNAP benefits by printing out the application (English version - Spanish version). Once you complete the form you can mail it in to your local District Office. To find the District Office that serves your area, please see Catchment Areas.

After completing the application for food stamp benefits, you may also need to:

  • Talk to a Family Services Specialist (FSS) about your situation and your needs. During this interview, the FSS will tell you about program requirements. The FSS will also tell you about your benefits. They will tell you if this interview is required and
  • Give them proof of your household circumstances. To avoid delays if you are scheduled for an interview, please have the proofs with you

If an interview is required for the assistance you request, please bring these proofs to your interview. Please note, an interview is always required for food stamps, and you may be required to provide additional proofs after the interview. If an interview is not required and they need proof from you, you will get a separate letter from them telling you what proof you need to give them.

All household members: You must bring the Social Security Number or show you have applied for one for each household member who is applying for assistance. If someone in your household is not applying for benefits he or she does not have to provide a Social Security Number or prove that he or she has applied for one. Bring some form of ID, like a drivers license, work or school ID card, ID from other social services program, voter ID card or birth certificate. Also bring your marriage certificate or divorce decree.

Student Status: They need the school schedule for the current term for anyone 16 years or older.

Health Insurance: All insurance cards for all household members. They do not need copies of your Medicaid cards.

Medical Condition: If you are blind, disabled or temporarily incapacitated, your doctor may need to fill out a form. If you are pregnant, bring a letter from your doctor stating your due date.

Vehicles: They need the registration/title and the amount you owe for any: car, truck, motorcycle, camper, snowmobile, or boat.

Cash Resources: They need current statements including the balance for any: checking/savings account, passbook savings account, credit union account, christmas club account, stock/bond certificates, certificate of deposit (CD), trust, IRA/401k, Keogh, mutual fund, medical savings account, and the total amount of any cash on hand.

Life Insurance: They need a copy of the policy and the current face value and cash value

Real Estate: They need the following information for any Real Estate, including your home: deed, mortgage (principal and interest), reverse mortgage, tax bill and mome owner's insurance.

Income: This includes earned income: 4 weeks of current and consecutive pay stubs, or DFA Form 756. This includes on the job training, work study, stipend/grant, VISTA, summer youth program, senior citizens community service, or census bureau income.

If Self-Employed: Profit/loss worksheet, schedule C, or other income tax return.

Unearned Income: Proof of all income from any sources, such as: State Supplemental Income, Social Security (Survivors/Disability/Retirement), Child Support/Alimony (bring all legal documents), Adoptions Subsidy/Foster Care Payment, VA Pension, other pension, Short/Long Term Disability, Workman's Compensation, Unemployment Compensation Benefits, Annuity/Trust/401k Income, Interest/Dividends/Royalties, Rental Income, railroad or strike benefits.

Terminated Employment: Letter from your employer stating your last day worked and reason for termination and proof of all gross wages paid in the current month, or DFA Form 756.

Expenses: Rental Expense (Rent Receipt/Lease/DFA Form 775/written Shared Shelter Statement or DFA Form 768 if you have a roommate you do not eat with), Utility Expense (Heat/Electric/Phone/Internet including mobile data/Fuel Assistance Award Letter), Child Care (Receipts/Letter from your Provider/Cancelled Checks), Medical Expenses for anyone 60 years and older or disabled (any expense incurred from illness, including transportation expenses and adult day care).

New Hampshire food stamp eligibility

Eligibility for this program depends upon income, resources, and expenses. Households with a member who is elderly or disabled need only meet the net income requirement. If all members of the household receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) financial assistance, and/or State Supplement (Old Age Assistance, Aid to the Needy Blind, Aid to the Permanently and Totally Disabled), there are no income or resource requirements at all.

Citizenship Status/Immigration & Identity: You must be either a US citizen or an eligible qualified alien and you must be who you say you are.

Residency: You must be a current resident of NH, but you do not need to have lived here, or intend to live here, for any specified length of time. If you are homeless you may still be eligible for assistance.

Social Security Number (SSN): The law requires that you furnish an SSN or verification of an application for an SSN if one has never been issued or you cannot provide the numbers for all household members.

Living Arrangement: You must be prepared to describe your living situation to them. They will need to know if you are living on your own or if you are married. If you are living with others, they will need to know the size of your household, if you are living in a group home situation, and what arrangements you have made for purchasing and preparing meals.

Financial requirements are broken into two components: income and resources. You are considered financially eligible for the food stamp program if both income and resource requirements are met.

Household Income: All available income for all members of your household is counted when they determine your eligibility for food stamp benefits. However, they subtract certain expenses from that total. If, after subtracting your expenses, your total net income equals or falls below the monthly net income limits for the number of people in your household, you are considered income-eligible. Please see the DFA Net Monthly Income Limits for the specific income requirements for the New Hampshire food stamp program.

DFA Program Net Monthly Income Limits
You must give them your gross income. Each program may have certain "disregards" and "deductions" that are allowed. They subtract these disregards and deductions from your gross income to come up with a program-specific figure that they call your "net" income. Your "net" income is then compared against the income limits below. You can also go to for a quick and easy way to see if you might be eligible.

Family Size Gross Income Limits for Households with no Members who are Disabled or Age 60 or Older (130%)** Net Income Limits for All Households (100%)** Net Income Limits for Expanded Categorical Eligibility (185%)
1 $1,307 $1,005 $1,860
2 $1,760 $1,354 $2,504
3 $2,213 $1,702 $3,149
4 $2,665 $2,050 $3,793
5 $3,118 $2,399 $4,437
6 $3,571 $2,747 $5,082
7 $4,024 $3,095 $5,726
8 $4,477 $3,444 $6,371

**Gross and net income limits do not apply to households in which all members receive DFA cash benefits and/or SSI.

Household Resources: All resources you and members of your household own are considered when determining eligibility. Examples of resources are cash, bank accounts, stocks, bonds, permanently unoccupied real estate, and some trusts. They do not count certain resources, such as the home you are living in, your furniture, and certain vehicles. If, after counting or excluding your household's resources, your total countable resources equal or fall below the resource limit, you are considered resource-eligible. Please see the DFA Program Fact Sheet for the specific resource requirements for the Food Stamp Program.

Household Expenses: Certain household expenses can be subtracted from income that is available or considered to be available to the assistance group.

  • Shelter & Utilities - Deductions for shelter costs including rent, mortgage, property tax, and condo fees may be subtracted from your income. Utility costs such as costs for heat, water and sewer, well, septic system, phones, internet service (including mobile data), electricity, and trash collection may also be deducted, if the costs are incurred separately from rent or mortgage
  • Child Care - The actual verified un-reimbursed cost of care for a dependent child or incapacitated parent may also be subtracted from the individual's adjusted gross income. Unreimbursed costs are total costs minus any reimbursements made by non-assistance group members. The maximum allowable childcare deduction limits are $200 for care for a child under 2 years old and $175 for over 2 years old
  • Legally binding child support payments - are also allowed as a deduction in net income computations if the applicant is paying them to a non-household member, including repayment of arrearages
  • Self-Employment Expenses - Actual costs of doing business may be subtracted from self-employment income to arrive at countable self-employment income, which is then added to other household income
  • Medical Expenses for Elders and Disabled - Verified un-reimbursed medical expenses in excess of $35 per month and incurred by household members who are elderly or disabled, may be subtracted.

Do note, if you are homeless or have little money to cover your current expenses, you may be eligible to receive your assistance within 7 days, if not sooner, and may not have to provide certain proofs until a later time. Do not hesitate to apply for food stamp benefits. Your eligibility begins the day you apply and you will receive benefits even for partial months.