How To Apply For Washington SNAP Benefits

View the information below if you are interested in applying for a EBT card in Washington. It is important that you have all the documentation and information needed so the application process is not delayed. If you still have questions or issues about applying for food stamps, known as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), then you can call the Washington SNAP hotline at 877-501-2233. The department that handles this program is called the Washington Department of Social and Health Services.

The US Department of Agriculture (USDA), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), called Basic Food in Washington, helps low income people make ends meet by providing monthly benefits to buy food.

Washington food stamp eligibility requirements

To find out if you are eligible to receive Washington food stamps read the documents listed below:

Legal immigrants who are not eligible for federal basic food solely due their immigration status may be eligible for the state Food Assistance Program (FAP).

Apply for Washington food stamps

Before applying for the Washington SNAP program, you can use their benefits estimator to see what benefits you are eligible for. One option is to apply for food stamps online by filling out and submitting an application online at Once you visit the site you can:

The second option is to download an application (English version - Spanish version), print it out and complete the form and submit it in person at your local Community Services Office (CSO). Once your application has been submitted, online or in person, the next step is interviewing. At the end of your interview you will be told whether or not additional information, or verification, is needed to make a decision on your case. If more information is needed, they will always request it in writing.

Submit requested information

You can mail them requested information to their office. Please do not turn in original documents. If you bring items to their office, you can request a receipt. When all information is received, they decide if you qualify for services. They can serve you better if they get all the information they request in a timely manner. Please ask if you need help getting information. If they do not receive all the information, you may not get all the benefits you need. When a decision is made on your case you will get a decision in writing. They will provide you help:

  • If you need an interpreter, they will provide you one quickly, at no cost to you
  • If you need help filling out forms or other services, their office staff can help you
  • If you are hearing impaired, all offices have TTY or Voice Relay service

What are the income limits and maximum benefit amounts for basic food?

(1) If your assistance unit (AU) meets all other eligibility requirements for basic food, your AU must have income at or below the limits in column B and C of this subsection to get basic food, unless you meet one of the exceptions listed below in subsection (2) of this section. The maximum monthly food assistance benefit your AU could receive is listed in column D of this subsection.

Column A
Number of Eligible AU Members
Column B
Maximum Gross Monthly Income
Column C
Maximum Net Monthly Income
Column D
Maximum Allotment
Column E
165% of Poverty Level
1 $1,287 $990 $194 $1,634
2 $1,736 $1,335 $357 $2,203
3 $2,184 $1,680 $511 $2,772
4 $2,633 $2,025 $649 $3,342
5 $3,081 $2,370 $771 $3,911
6 $3,530 $2,715 $925 $4,480
7 $3,980 $3,061 $1,022 $5,051
8 $4,430 $3,408 $1,169 $5,623
9 $4,881 $3,755 $1,315 $6,195
10 $5,332 $4,102 $1,461 $6,767
Each Additional Member +$451 +$347 +$146 +$572

(2) Exceptions:

(a) If your AU is categorically eligible as under WAC 388-414-0001, your AU does not have to meet the gross or net income standards in columns B and C of subsection (1) of this section. They budget your AU's income to decide the amount of basic food your AU will receive.

(b) If your AU includes a member who is sixty years of age or older or has a disability, your AU's income must be at or below the limit in column C of subsection (1) of this section.

(c) If you are sixty years of age or older and cannot buy and cook your own meals because of a permanent disability, they will use column E of subsection (1) of this section to decide if you can be a separate AU.

(d) If your AU has zero income, your benefits are the maximum allotment in column D of subsection (1) of this section, based on the number of eligible members in your AU.

What income deductions does the department allow when determining if I am eligible for food benefits and the amount of my monthly benefits?

(1) They determine if your assistance unit (AU) is eligible for basic food and calculate your monthly benefits according to requirements of the Food and Nutrition Act of 2008 and federal regulations related to the supplemental nutrition assistance program (SNAP).

(2) Under these federal laws, they subtract the following amounts from your AU's total monthly income to determine your countable monthly income under WAC 388-450-0162:

(a) A standard deduction based on the number of eligible people in your AU under WAC 388-408-0035:

Eligible AU members Standard deduction
1 $157
2 $157
3 $157
4 $168
5 $197
6 or more $226

(b) Twenty percent of your AU's gross earned income (earned income deduction).
(c) Your AU's expected monthly dependent care expense needed for an AU member to:
(i) Keep work, look for work, or accept work
(ii) Attend training or education to prepare for employment or
(iii) Meet employment and training requirements under chapter 388-444 WAC
(d) Medical expenses over thirty-five dollars a month owed or anticipated by an elderly or disabled person in your AU as allowed under WAC 388-450-0200; and
(e) A portion of your shelter costs as described in WAC 388-450-0190.

Need to contact someone about the Washington SNAP program

Phone services will be available from 8am - 5pm every business day. Call them at 877-501-2233 Monday - Friday. Hours for interviews are 8am - 2pm. Their highest volume times are between the hours of 11am and 2pm, on Mondays and on the first and last three workdays of the month. If you call during these times, you may experience delays. By calling this number, you can:

  • Get information & report changes about any of your benefits
  • Before 2pm: Complete your interview for cash or food (application/eligibility review/mid-certification review)
  • Request an EBT Replacement Card
  • Access their automated Answer Phone system 24 hours a day

Walk-in services will be available from 8am - 5pm every business day. Customers who check in by 2pm will be served that day. Lobby Navigators will be available to assist customers with routine items, paperwork drop off and online services will continue to be available until 5pm. To find a location near you, click here.


Services available in your local office. Do note, most of the following services can also be completed online or by phone:

Apply for benefits or submit documents
Before 2pm: Complete your interview for cash or food (application/eligibility review/mid-certification review)
Report changes for any of your benefits

Public computers are located in the office lobbies. The computers are available to clients for DSHS business use Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm.

Hours of Operation Same Day Application Services EBT Issuance
Monday - Friday: 8am - 5pm Monday - Friday: 8am - 2pm Monday - Friday: 10am - 2pm
All offices replace EBT cards by mail only. Call 888-328-9271 to have a replacement card mailed to you